Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Week 30: Chocolate and Coconut Brownies

I just arrived back home in Helsinki, Finland after a year of Student Baking at university. I was tired from the late nights partying (which meant: staying up late baking, drinking tea and chatting) and weary (from all that child minding, haha). The first day at home I spent relaxing by washing clothes and planning bakes. The next day I started baking again ... because I can. I felt the urge to bake and get moving, and really ... baking gives me joy. Just the thought that I can bring joy to others through food is all it takes to get me moving and making some decadent bakes!!

So, to decide what to make I looked to what my family likes to eat. My dad, for instance likes coconut and condensed milk, and my mum and Harri like chocolate. At this point when I arrived back Harri was still in the army, but was finishing on Thursday, and the day was Wednesday. We would be driving to pick Harri and his friend up from the army the next day, so we did need some sustenance for the car journey. 

The bake was decided!! It was to be: Chocolate and Coconut Brownies!! :D

Making the coconut filling and putting it in the fridge to chill out with the tomato sauce and lettuce for an hour ;)
I was just about to start making the batter for the brownies and I realised that we completely forgot to buy the main ingredient: chocolate!! 

So we went for a quick walk to the local grocers. On the way we saw some amazing pink Rhododendrons, so we had to take a selfie :) 

My mum and I with the Rhododendrons <3
Measuring and cutting up the chocolate back at our kitchen
Leaving the chocolate mixture to quickly cool down to room temperate by leaving it in front of the window
Our wonderful kitchen view <3
Taking the coconut out of the fridge ready to place as the filling in the middle of the brownie
Pouring half of the chocolate batter into the tin
And having fun with it ;) 
Flipping the coconut layer onto the first layer of brownie batter. My photographer had to help me plop it on, so that is why there are no pictures of the ordeal ;)
Putting on the other half of the brownie batter
My photographer eating the chocolate batter ;) That is why she couldn't take more pictures ... all makes sense now ;)
Ready to have a hot party in the oven ;)
Sprinkling coconut onto the brownie before going in the oven

Even more sprinkling of coconut!! The more the better ;)

The final product!! Chocolate and Coconut Brownies :)
This was so much fun to make :D I know it seems like a lot of work, but really if you plan it out well, and have all the ingredients at your disposal, you could have this done in no time!! 

Till next bake,

Laura from "The Baking Students at Summer break" ;) xx

No comments:

Post a Comment